Corona viruses (CoV) are a wide family of viruses that cause disease ranging from
common cold to more serious diseases, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV)
and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Corona virus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain discovered in 2019 and is not previously known to humans. Corona virus is zoonotic, meaning it transmits
Common Signs Of Infection.
Respiratory symptoms, fatigue, cough, shortness of breath and trouble breathing are typical indicators of infection. For more serious instances, influenza, extreme acute respiratory syndrome, renal failure and even death may result from infection.
Standard Recommendations To Prevent Spread Of Infection:
1. Wash hands with soap & water or hand rubbing alcohol
2. Cover the nose or mouth with tissue or flexed elbow
3. While coughing and sneezing; Prevent direct communication with someone who has signs of cold or flu
4. Cook meat and eggs well
5. Any unprotected interaction with either living wild animals or farm animals 6. Do not fly if you have fever and cough
6. When you feel fever cough or respiratory problems
7. If you get sick whilst travelling, alert the crew and receive medical treatment early.
8. Share the travel details with your health care professional if you're pursuing medical treatment.
9. Eat only well cooked meals
10. Avoid spitting in crowd and public places
11. Avoid close contact with ill animals
When To Use A Mask?
To healthier persons, use a mask even while a person with suspected corona virus infection is being monitored. Whether you're coughing or sneezing, always wear a mask. Masks are only useful when used in conjunction with alcohol-based hand cleaning, or soap and water. If you are using a mask, you ought to learn how to use it and to correctly dispose of it.
Earlier this week, the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared corona virus outbreak as a pandemic. While cases in India have increased drastically in the past few days, it’s time to take precautions and not panic or stress. Presently, there are 52 authorized centres in India where the test for COVID-19 is being conducted. In Maharashtra, the authorised centre is Indira Gandhi Government Medical College, Nagpur, Contact number – 07122725423 and Kasturba Hospital for Infectious Diseases, Mumbai with its Contact number – 022300432333.
- Be safe from corona virus infection
- Be smart and inform yourself about it
- Be kind and support one another
The rapid and almost endless influx of news coverage about an epidemic may lead anyone to feel nervous. Get the facts, not the rumours and misinformation. Facts can help to minimise fears.